Programs Frequently Asked Questions

Does my child have to be potty trained?

No, children do not have to be potty trained to attend our Center. Our staff works cooperatively with families who are working on potty training their children. Children who are working on potty training will be encouraged to use the potty throughout the day. Progress will be communicated daily to families.

Do I need to provide diapers, pull-ups or wipes if my child is not potty trained?

Yes, each family must provide diapers/pull-ups for their child to use. Each family is also asked to provide wipes that will be used by all children in diapers.

Do you provide meals? Is there an extra cost for meals?

Black River Child Care Center participates in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). This program is supervised by the U.S. Department of Agriculture/State of Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI). This requires that our Center meet a number of rigid standards for nutrition and food handling. The program is audited to insure that all standards of the program are met. The menus are planned monthly and are posted within the center. Black River Child Care Center sponsors the CACFP and meals are at no separate charge.

What time are your meals served?

Breakfast is served at 8:30, luch at 11:30, and snack at 2:30 for the Yellow and Purple Rooms. (1 and 2 year olds) 

Breakfast is served at 9:00, lunch at 12:00, and snack at 3:00 for the Green, Red, and Blue Rooms. (3 year olds and up)

How are meals prepared?

All meals are prepared in our central kitchen. The Center employs our own cook.

What food guidelines are followed for serving the children?

The children are served breakfast, lunch, and snack in their own classrooms. The classrooms sit together at meals and pass the food around the table using family style dining. The teachers sit and eat with the children modelling appropriate manners, eating techniques, and conversations.

Can I bring a birthday treat for my child to share with his/her classmates?

The Center encourages nutritious snacks for our children. For your child’s safety and the protection of the Center and children who attend with food allergies, we will only accept pre-packaged cooked/baked goods or baked goods by a licensed bakery, or items that are sealed. No food items with nuts or peanut butter are allowed in the classrooms. All treats brought into the center must be brought to the Center’s kitchen. An alternative to treats might be to donate a new book or toy to your child’s classroom.

Can my child’s teacher administer medication to my child?

Yes. Prescription medication must be in the original container and labeled with the child’s name, name of drug, dosage, and directions for administering, date and physician’s name. A signed and dated written authorization from the parent must be on file for the teacher to administer. Please visit Medical Form that would need to be filled out.

What about non-prescription medications?

Our staff is not allowed to administer non-prescription medication without a written doctor’s authorization. (This does not include Chap Stick, lotion, sunscreen, or diaper creams).

At what temperature must my child be removed from the Center?

You will be called to pick up your child if your child has a temperature of 100 or above.

When can my child return to his classroom after being sent home with an illness?

If your child has been sent home with a fever, flu like symptoms, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. your child should remain at home. Fever, flu like symptoms, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. must be gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine for a full 24 hours before returning to the Center.

What is the staff to child ratio?

We follow the Department of Children and Families Maximum Group Size Recommendations.

1 to 2 years.....1:4 
2 to 2 ½ years…1:6
2 ½ to 3 years…1:8
3 to 4 years…1:10
4 to 5 years…1:13
5 to 6 years…1:17
6 years and over…1:18

What securities measures are in place for picking up my child?

Each classroom keeps track of the children present on a tracking form. When a child leaves for the day the teacher in their classroom signs them out as well as the parents signing the child out. Parents are asked to make contact with the teacher to ensure they see the child leaving.

If someone other than a parent is picking up your child, please give the name of the individual to the classroom teacher or to the office. The classroom teacher will then be required to see a photo ID of the individual picking up the child before releasing the child to that individual. A child will not be released to someone who has not been authorized by the parents.

Is there bus transportation provided for school-age and 4-K children?

Families contract with the school district for bussing, but bussing is available for school-age and 4-K before and after school.

Do you take the children to swimming lessons or other outside activities for the parents?

We do not provide transportation to outside activities. Parents are responsible for arranging all transportation needs.